Sunday, July 25, 2010

Trip to Kennicott Copper Mine

After the Pioneer Day Parade the four of us drove up to the Kennicott Copper Mine - hey, today was free so why not join the croud and take a good look. I've always wanted to see that gigantic hole in the earth and I was impressed with the size of the operation, but I still don't like what they've done to the mountains. However, they do have a plan to reclaim all the mine tailings and are doing it right along as the operation moves along. They operate those huge trucks and scoops 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and with the price of copper and gold as high as it is today, the operation is making a pretty good profit. We were lucky to be standing by the railing when they blew up a section towards the bottom of the pit. They drill their holes 50 feet deep, pack them full of explosives, stop all traffic and set 'er off. Talk about a dust cloud!!
























































No comments:

Post a Comment